Ukraine, U.S. launch Black Sea drills
#GS2 #IR #TERRITORIAL WATERS #UNCLOS
Recently Ukraine and the united states launched joint naval exercises in the Black Sea .
- Recently, Russia accused Britain of spreading lies over a warship confrontation in the Black Sea and warned London that it might respond resolutely to any more provocative actions by British Navy off the coast of Russia-annexed Crimea.
- Russia summoned the British Ambassador in Moscow for a proper diplomatic scolding after the warship breached.
- The Black Sea , which Russia uses to project its power within the Mediterranean, has for centuries been a flashpoint between Russia and its competitors like Turkey, France, U.S. and the U.K.
- Russia seized and annexed the Crimea peninsula from Ukraine in 2014 and considers areas around its coast to be Russian waters.
- Western countries deem Crimea to be a part of Ukraine and reject Russia’s claim to the seas around it.
- During its 2008 war with Georgia, Russia bristled at U.S. warships operating within the Black Sea , and in April 2021 the U.S. cancelled the deployment of two warships to the world .
- In 2018 Russian forces boarded and took control of three Ukrainian naval ships off the Black Sea peninsula.
- It doesn’t recognise the Russian annexation of Crimea and believes it's Ukrainian waters and it had been entirely right to use them to travel from A to B.
- The Royal Navy ship was conducting innocent passage through Ukrainian territorial waters in accordance with international law.
- Under the international law of the sea, innocent passage permits a vessel to undergo another state’s territorial waters so long as this doesn't affect its security.
About Ukraine-US Naval exercise (Sea Breeze Drills):
SOURCE: THE HINDU