Transparent Taxation – Honouring the Honest
#GS3 #Economy #Taxation
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has recently launched a platform for “Transparent Taxation – Honouring the Honest”.
- The platform is made to honour India’s taxpayers who have been sincere with taxes.
- It is aimed at bringing transparency in income tax systems and empowering taxpayers.
- The main features of the platform are faceless assessment, faceless appeal and taxpayer charter. The faceless assessment and taxpayer charter will come into place immediately from the launch, while the faceless appeal is going to be applicable from 25th September 2020.
- Faceless Assessment : It aims to eliminate the interface between the taxpayer and the income tax department. There will be no need for the taxpayer to visit the income tax office or the officer. The selection of a taxpayer is possible through systems using analytics and Artificial Intelligence.
- Faceless Appeal : Under the system, appeals will be randomly allotted to any officer in the country. The identity of the officer deciding the appeal will remain unknown.
- Taxpayer Charter : This outlines the rights and responsibilities of both tax officers and taxpayers.