TRANSGENDERS IN ARMED FORCES
The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) told the Union Home Ministry (MHA) that it is ready to make its force “compatible” for the recruitment of transgender people as officers in their ranks.
The CRPF communication refers to the April 15, 2014 judgment of the Supreme Court declaring transgender people as the Third Gender. Following this, Parliament passed The Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act in 2019.
The CRPF is the second force, among the five asked for their views, which has given a positive response to MHA’s question. Earlier, the BSF said that it is ready to make necessary changes in the force for helping transgender people to join the force at Assistant Commandant-level.
Sources said this recruitment would be made in the general cadre, meaning they would get to operate in combat roles and will eventually rise to command formations at the border and in law and order duties
Transgender Rights so far:
- The preamble to the Constitution mandates Justice - social, economic, and political equality of status.
- The Supreme Court judgment on Transgender Rights covers persons who want to identify with the third gender as well as persons who want to transition from one identity to another, i.e. to male to female or vice versa. The Court has directed Centre and State Governments to grant legal recognition of gender identity whether it be male, female or third gender.
- The Supreme Court struck down Article 377.
- The Parliament passed the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill, 2019.
- Comes under the jurisdiction of Ministry of Home Affairs
- One among the 7 Central Armed Police Forces.
Broad duties being performed by the CRPF are:
- Crowd control
- Riot control
- Counter Militancy / Insurgency operations.
- Dealing with Left Wing Extremism
- Overall co-ordination of large scale security arrangement especially with regard to elections in disturbed areas.
- The fighting enemy in the event of War.
- Participating in the UN Peace Keeping Mission as per Govt. policy.
- Rescue and Relief operations at the time of Natural Calamities and disasters.
Source: Indian express