Serum Institute of India (SII)
Serum Institute of India (SII) has announced that it will produce up to an additional 100 million COVID-19 vaccine doses for India and low and middle-income countries in 2021.
- The announcement takes forward the collaboration between the Serum Institute of India, GAVI Vaccine Alliance and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
- The additional COVID-19 vaccine dose commitment follows the August announcement of up to 100 million doses to be delivered to India and other low and middle-income countries by the collaboration.
- Now, a total of 200 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines will be delivered to India by 2021 by the partnership.
When will COVID-19 vaccine be ready?
- The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare had assured on September 28, 2020 that the first COVID-19 vaccine will most likely be available in India by early 2021.
How to track COVID-19 vaccine updates?
- The Health Ministry has launched a special web portal to provide all the important information regarding coronavirus, vaccine development, the ongoing clinical trials and progress made locally and globally. Union Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan also launched the National Clinical Registry of COVID-19, which will collect all data regarding the treatments, clinical and laboratory investigations and the outcomes of hospitalized COVID-19 patients in India.
- The special web portal for COVID vaccines and the National Clinical Registry for Covid-19 have been developed by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
- The SII, Gavi and Gates Foundation collaboration will also support the efforts of the COVAX facility, which is co-led by WHO, Gavi and CEPI to ensure rapid and equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines whenever they are ready.
- The COVAX facility will provide governments with an opportunity to benefit from a large portfolio of COVID-19 candidate vaccines. So far, 73 higher-income countries have formally agreed to join the facility and 92 low- and middle-income economies that are eligible for support from the facility.