Saving Biodiversity through Effective Waste Management
#GS3 #Environment #WasteManagement
In commemoration of World Environment Day 2020, Shri Hardeep Singh Puri, Minister of State (I/C), Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA) launched a series of advisories at Nirman Bhavan, New Delhi. The program titled ‘Saving Biodiversity through Effective Waste Management’ was webcast live and was also attended by Shri DurgaShanker Mishra, Secretary, MoHUA and Shri V.K. Jindal, Joint Secretary and National Mission Director, Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban (SBM-U).
The three key advisories released included the :
- ‘Advisory on Material Recovery Facilities (MRFs) for Municipal Solid Waste (MSW)’,
- ‘Advisory on Landfill Reclamation’ and
- ‘Consultative Document (draft) on On-site and Off-site Sewage Management Practices’
- Prepared by the Central Public Health and Environmental Engineering Organisation (CPHEEO) under SBM-U.
- The Ministry also released a toolkit for a communication campaign on faecal sludge management titled‘Malasur- The Demon of Defeca’ which aims to heighten the risk perception of faecal sludge.
- Conceptualized and designed in support from BBC Media Action, the toolkit has a host of creative outputs in 10 Indian languages along with English.