#GS3 #Economy #Logistics #Ports
Union Minister of State for Shipping Shri Mansukh Mandaviya has launched ‘SAROD-Ports’ (Society for Affordable Redressal of Disputes – Ports).
What is ‘SAROD-Ports’?
- SAROD-Ports is established under Societies Registration Act, 1860 with the following objectives –
- Affordable and timely resolution of disputes in fair manner.
- Enrichment of Dispute Resolution Mechanism with the panel of technical experts as arbitrators.
- SAROD-Ports consists members from Indian Ports Association (IPA) and Indian Private Ports and Terminals Association (IPTTA).
- SAROD-Ports will advise and assist in settlement of disputes through arbitrations in the maritime sector, including ports and shipping sector in Major Port Trusts, Non-major Ports, including private ports, jetties, terminals and harbours.
- It will also cover disputes between granting authority and Licensee/Concessionaire/Contractor and also disputes between Licensee/Concessionaire and their contractors arising out of and during the course of execution of various contracts.
- ‘SAROD-Ports’ is similar to provision available in Highway Sector in the form of SAROD-Roads constituted by NHAI.
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved amendments in the Model Concession Agreement (MCA). In January,2018.The amendments in the MCA, envisaged constitution SAROD-PORTS as dispute resolution mechanism for PPP Projects in the Major Ports.