The Rezang La Battle (#GS II)
Topic: India's Relations with its Neighbours
Why is it in the news:
- The Battle of Rezang La is celebrated for the 59th time on November 18th. A memorial was dedicated on the occasion.
What transpired with Rezang La:
- Rezang La is a mountain pass in Ladakh that runs parallel to the Line of Actual Control and connects the hamlet of Chushul with the Spanggur Lake, which straddles both Indian and Chinese territory.
- It was also the site of a valiant combat on November 18, 1962.
- The 13 Kumaon Regiment defeated successive waves of the Chinese People's Liberation Army during the battle in 1962.
- Despite being vastly outmanned, the regiment's soldiers fought to the death in subzero weather with limited ammunition.
Importance of the region: Rezang La is crucial for the protection of the strategically important Chushul. Any invading force that made it so far would have had a direct route to Leh.
Preliminary Exam Hot-Link:
- Information on the Rezang La Battle.
- What is a line of communication (LoC), how is it established, and what is the geographic scope and relevance of one?
- What is LAC, exactly?
- Where did Nathu la go?
- What is the location of Pangong Tso Lake?
- Who is in charge of the region of Aksai Chin?