Release funds for Indira Canteens
#GS2 #GOVERNANCE #WELFARESCHEMEs
For the past several months, bills of contractors operating the 198 Indira Canteens in Bengaluru, have not been cleared.
- Indira Canteen is an ambitious food subsidisation programme run by the Government of Karnataka in Inspired from the Amma Unavagam of Tamilnadu.
- It is a flagship program started by Congress which is aimed at providing subsidized, low price meal canteens at a price of Rs 5 per breakfast and Rs 10 for Lunch and supper in all the 198 wards of Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagar Palike (BBMP).
- Initially, Siddaramaiah’s government had announced setting up of canteens named “Namma Canteens” in the state budget 2017-18, which was later changed to “Indira Canteens”, as authorities sought to add a flavor of politics, by connecting it to Garibi Hatao of our former and only woman Prime Minister late Mrs. Indira Gandhi.
- Adding to this, BBMP also launched an app called Indira Canteens, which locates the outlets, shows menu, its timings and all other details about canteens.
- They had also conducted a contest by name “selfie with canteen” which announced price money of Rs.1 lakh for the selfie with best tagline.
- Since then, thousands of citizens, especially those belonging to lower socio-economic groups, depend on the canteens for breakfast, lunch and dinner, which is made available at a subsidised cost.
- The canteens serving food in civic wards of districts and taluka places of Karnataka.
- The new tenders for the 198 canteens came into effect in August this year. As per the new tenders, the government subsidy for three meals has come down from ₹37 to ₹30.