Project DANTAK completes 60 years in Bhutan
#GS2 #IR #INDIA AND BHUTAN RELATIONS
- Project DANTAK was launched on April 24, 1961 to provide connectivity infrastructure in Bhutan. Headquartered in Deothang, it is one of the oldest projects of the Border Roads Organisation. DANTAK is responsible for constructing motorable roads in Bhutan as well as the setting up of other critical infrastructure in the Kingdom.
- This year, it commemorates its Diamond Jubilee in Bhutan. Some of its noteworthy projects include Paro Airport, Yonphula Airfield etc.
- Over the years, DANTAK has met the myriad infrastructure requirements in Bhutan in accordance with the vision of Their Majesties and the aspirations of the people in a symbiotic manner.
- Some other notable projects executed by the project include the construction of Paro Airport, Yonphula Airfield, Thimphu – Trashigang Highway, Telecommunication & Hydro Power Infrastructure, Sherubtse College, Kanglung, and India House Estate.
- The medical and education facilities established by DANTAK in far-flung areas were often the first in those locations.
- The food outlets along the road introduced the Bhutanese to Indian delicacies and developed a sweet tooth in them. The famous Takthi Canteen midway between Phuentsholing and Thimphu has been a compulsory stop for travelers.
- As DANTAK celebrates six decades in Bhutan, the project reaffirms its commitment to support the march of Bhutan towards realizing the dreams of His Majesty Druk Gyalpo, the plans of the Royal Government of Bhutan, and the aspirations of the people of the kingdom.
- Project DANTAK was established on April 24, 1961 as a result of the visionary leadership of His Majesty the Third King and then Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru. DANTAK was tasked to construct the pioneering motorable roads in the Kingdom.
- DANTAK completed the road connecting Samdrup Jongkhar to Trashigang in 1968. In the same year, Thimphu was connected to Phuentsholing by DANTAK. Many Bhutanese had also volunteered to work with DANTAK.
- Some other notable projects executed by the project include the construction of Paro Airport, Yonphula Airfield, Thimphu – Trashigang Highway, Telecommunication & Hydro Power Infrastructure, Sherubtse College, Kanglung and India House Estate.
- The medical and education facilities established by DANTAK in far flung areas were often the first in those locations.
- Over 1,200 DANTAK personnel laid down their lives while constructing important infrastructure in Bhutan.
SOURCE : PIB