September month is celebrated as Rashtriya Poshan Maah each year under POSHAN Abhiyaan (PM’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nourishment), which was launched in 2018. Poshan Maah aims to create mobilisation across the country for improving Nutrition indicators.
About POSHAN Maah
- The primary objective of the celebration of Poshan Maah is to take the messages of POSHAN to the grass root level.
- The programme is an initiative of WCD Ministry and NITI Aayog, which is supported by 18 line Ministries/Departments/Government Organisations.
- It seeks to synergise all efforts by leveraging technology and intends to take nutrition awareness to the level of Jan Andolan or People’s Movement.
- The programme focuses on several themes – Antenatal Care, Optimal Breastfeeding (Early & Exclusive), Complementary Feeding, Anaemia, Growth Monitoring, Girls-education, diet, right age of Marriage, Hygiene & Sanitation, Food Fortification.
About POSHAN Abhiyaan
- POSHAN stands for Prime Minister’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nutrition.
- The National Nutrition Mission (NNM), also known as the POSHAN Abhiyan, aims to reduce stunting, underweight and low birth weight each by 2 per cent per annum; and anaemia among children, adolescent girls and women, each by 3 per cent per annum by 2022.
- However, the Global Burden of Disease Study 1990–2017 has estimated that if the current trend continues, India cannot achieve these targets under NNM by 2022.