PLACES IN NEWS
EXCERPTS FROM TODAY'S NEWS PAPER
IMAGE IN THE FIRST PAGE OF THE HINDU NEWS PAPER
A newborn rhino with its mother at the Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary in Morigaon district of Assam on Monday.
Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary
- Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary has the largest density of one-horned rhinos in the world and second highest concentration in Assam after Kaziranga National Park.
It is often called ‘Mini Kaziranga’ due to the same landscape and vegetation.
- The wildlife sanctuary is home to endangered one-horned rhinoceros and the other mammals such as Leopard, Leopard cat, Fishing cat, Jungle cat, Feral Buffalo, Wild pigs, Chinese pangolins, etc.
- About 72% of Pobitora Sanctuary consists of wet savannah of Arundo donax and Saccharum. The remaining area is covered by water bodies.
Water hyacinth (an invasive aquatic plant) is a bigger problem to the area especially to waterfowl, as it becomes a thick mats on the water surface.
- There are 5 national parks in Assam namely,
- Dibru-Saikhowa National Park,
- Kaziranga National Park,
- Manas National Park,
- Nameri National Park,
- Rajiv Gandhi Orang National Park.