#GS3 #Defence #Technology
Providing further boost to the ‘Make in India’ initiative of Government of India in the Defence Sector, Acquisition Wing of Ministry of Defence (MoD) has signed contracts with M/s. Bharat Earth Movers Ltd. (BEML), M/s. Tata Power Company Ltd. (TPCL) and M/s. Larsen & Toubro (L&T) for supply of Six Pinaka Regiments to the Regiment of Artillery of the Indian Army at an approximate cost of Rs. 2580 Crores.
- These Six Pinaka Regiments comprise 114 Launchers with Automated Gun Aiming & Positioning System (AGAPS) and 45 Command Posts and 330 Vehicles.
- These Six Pinaka Regiments will be operationalised along the Northern and Eastern Borders of our country further enhancing the operation preparedness of our Armed Forces. Induction of Six Pinaka Regiments is planned to be completed by 2024.
- This project under Buy (Indian) categorisation, with 70% Indigenous Content.
About Pinaka MLRS
- The Pinaka Multiple Launch Rocket System (MLRS) has been indigenously designed and developed by DRDO and productionised by the above mentioned defence industries.
- This is a flagship project showcasing public private partnership under the aegis of Government of India (DRDO & MoD) enabling “Aatmnirbharta” in cutting edge Defence t technologies.
- Its weapon system has a state-of-the-art guidance kit bolstered by an advanced navigation and control system.
- The Pinaka Mark II Rocket is modified as a missile by integrating with the navigation, control and guidance system to improve the accuracy and enhance the range.
- The navigation system of the missile is aided by the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS).
- It is an artillery missile system capable of striking into enemy territory up to a range of 75 kilometres with high precision.
- The initial version of weapon system was called Mark I, which had a range of 40 km. The upgraded version or Pinaka Mark II has an extended range of 70 to 80 km.
- The mission achieved all the objectives including enhancing the range, accuracy and sub-system functionality.