8TH Global Nitrogen Conference
#GS2 #POLICIES #GS3 #SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY.
- It is being virtually held by the International Nitrogen Initiative (INI) from 31st May-3rdJune 2021.
- INI is a world programme, found out in 2003 under sponsorship of the Scientific Committee on Problems of the Environment (SCOPE) and from the International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme (IGBP).
The important aims of the INI are to
- Optimize nitrogen’s beneficial role in sustainable food production, and
- minimize nitrogen’s negative effects on human health and therefore the environment resulting from food and energy production.
- It is addressed by speakers from the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) and UN Economic Commission on Europe, etc.
Focus: Assessing and managing reactive nitrogen compounds sustainably are going to be crucial to realize the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) targeted for 2030.
- Reactive nitrogen compounds (NOx, ammonia and therefore the greenhouse emission nitrous oxide) impact air, water and soil quality, health, biodiversity and global climate change , etc.
- Nitrous oxide has upto 300 times higher heating potential than CO2 .
- These compounds are lost from fertilisers, manures and sewage also as from fuel burning in transport and industry.
- South Asia is one among the worldwide hotspots for nitrogen pollution.
- The Indian nitrogen assessment of 2017 has provided an enormous impetus to the UN resolution, also on the continued South Asian nitrogen assessment.
- The Berlin Declaration are going to be finalised and adopted during the concluding session of the conference on 3rd June.