- INS Nireekshak
- Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY)
INS Nireekshak is the Indian Navy’s diving support vessel. It also serves as a temporary submarine rescue vessel. It is initially used by the ONGC for offshore oil exploration. It was officially purchased by the Indian Navy in 1995. The vessel is currently undertaking search and rescue operations off the New Mangalore Coast to find the missing fishermen whose fishing boat capsized after collision with Singapore vessel MV APL Le Havre
Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY)
Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY) was launched in 2020 in response to the pandemic crisis. Under this scheme, the Central Government distributed free 5 kg of rice or wheat per individual and 1 kg of pulses per family covered under the Naitonal Food Security Act. 32.2 million tonnes fo food grains were allocated for free by the government last year as part of this scheme. With the second wave of COVID-19 hitting the Indian economy, several state governments are calling for resumption of this scheme.
- The Department of Food & Public Distribution started the implementation of “Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PM-GKAY)” for a period of three months i.e. April, May and June 2020 and had been extended for five more months.
- It is a scheme as part of Atmanirbhar Bharat to supply free food grains to migrants and the poor.
- Under the scheme, five kgs of wheat or rice and one kg of pulses per month will be given free of cost to the poor.
- It aimed to ensure sufficient foods for the poor and needy amid the coronavirus crisis.