Panel formed for talks on theatre commands
#Security #Integrated Theatre Command
Why in News?
For the wider consultations on the creation of integrated tri-service theatre commands a high-level committee consisting of representatives from the services and the Ministries were formed.
The panel includes:
- The Vice-Chiefs of the three services,
- The Chief of Integrated Defence Staff to the Chairman Chiefs of Staff Committee, and
- Representatives from Ministries such as Home Affairs, Finance and Law.
- The committee will examine all issues and find a way forward before a formal note on their creation is sent to the Cabinet Committee on Security.
The rationale behind the move:
- It was necessitated due to some aspects like:
- Bringing in paramilitary forces, which are under the Home Ministry, under the purview of the theatre commands.
- The financial implications that may arise in the process of integration.
Government Steps towards formations of Integrated Commands:
- The mandate of the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) includes bringing about jointness among the three services, including through the establishment of joint/theatre commands.
- The country’s first CDS Gen. Bipin Rawat had constituted teams headed by the Vice-Chiefs of three services to study and submit recommendations on the formation of various commands.
- The studies reports on the two proposed commands (air defence and maritime theatre) are being discussed and would be rolled out by August.
- The proposed Air Defence Command plans to integrate all air assets of the armed forces.
- While the Maritime Theatre Command plans to bring in all assets of the Navy, Coast Guard as well as coastal formations of the Army and Air Force under one umbrella.
- On land, the Army’s Northern Command and Western Command would be converted into two to five theatre commands.
Integrated Theatre Command:
The committee, which was headed by Lt General DB Shekatkar (retd) has recommended the creation of 3 integrated theatre commands i.e.;
How is Joint Command different from Integrated Command?
Theatre Commands in India:
Current commands in India:
Co-ordination of commands during the war:
SOURCE: THE HINDU