New variant T478K
#GS3 #SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY #VIRUSES
- Recently, Italian researchers have identified a brand new coronavirus mutation, whose scientific name is T478K.
- An analysis of over a million SARS-CoV-2 genome sequences has led to the identification of a new variant.
- Like other strains, this presents a mutation within the spike protein.
- This variant covers over 50% of the prevailing viruses during this area.
- The variant spreads evenly across males and females and age ranges.
- This variant has been increasingly spreading among people in North America, particularly in Mexico.
- This variant represents 52.8% of all sequenced coronaviruses in Mexico, whereas within the US it shows up only in 2.7% of the sequenced samples.
What is Spike Protein?
- It is a protein that protrudes from the surface of a coronavirus, just like the spikes of a crown or corona hence called ‘coronavirus’.
- In the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, it's the spike protein that initiates the method of infection during a human cell.
- It attaches itself to a person's enzyme, called the ACE2 receptor, before happening to enter the cell and make multiple copies of itself.