Nepal Clears "New Map"
News : Nepal's Cabinet has endorsed a new political map showing Lipulekh, Kalapani and Limpiyadhura under its territory, amidst a border dispute with India.
- The Lipulekh pass is a far western point near Kalapani, an alleged "disputed" border area between Nepal and India.
- Both India and Nepal claim Kalapani as an integral part of their territory - India as part of Uttarakhand's Pithoragarh district and Nepal as part of Dharchula district.
- The "new map" includes India's 335-km land area including Limpiyadhura in Nepalese territory.
- India has said that the recently-inaugurated road section in Pithoragarh district in Uttarakhand lies completely within its territory.Following the road inauguration, the Nepal government released a press note stating that the eastern area from Mahakali River belongs to Nepal as per the Sugauli Treaty, 1816.
- But the Indian government said that it had constructed the road in its own territory.
- A few days later, the Indian Army chief General M.M. Naravane accused Nepal of acting ‘at the behest of someone else,’ a thinly veiled reference to China.