#GS1 #Geography #GS3 #Infrastructure #Development
Union defense minister Rajnath Singh on Monday laid the foundation stone of the Nechiphu Tunnel on the Balipara-Charduar-Tawang (BCT) road in West Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh.
- The 450m-long tunnel, which will bypass the existing road, will be D-shaped and comprise two lanes of 3.5m width each. Another 1.8 km-long tunnels are also being constructed on the BCT road and both will reduce the distance to the area bordering China by 10km.
- Singh also inaugurated eight bridges built by Border Roads Organisation (BRO) in Arunachal Pradesh. Thirty-six other bridges built by BRO in Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Sikkim, and Jammu & Kashmir were also inaugurated by the defense minister.
About Border Roads Organisation (BRO) :
- The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) develops and maintains road networks in India's border areas and friendly neighboring countries. Officers from the Border Roads Engineering Service (BRES) and personnel from the General Reserve Engineer Force (GREF) form the parent cadre of the Border Roads Organisation.
- The BRO operates in 18 Projects namely: Arunank, Beacon, Brahmank, Chetak, Deepak, Dantak, Himank, Hirak, Pushpak, Sampark, Setuk, Sewak, Shivalik, Swastik, Udayak, Vartak, Vijayak and sela tunnel.
Role Of BRO :
- To Develop & Maintain the Operational Road Infrastructure of General Staff (GS) in the Border Areas.
- To Contribute to the Socio-Economic Development of the Border States.
- To Develop & Maintain Roads to Keep Line of Control through in Original Sectors and Re-deployed Sectors.
- To Execute Additional Tasks as laid down by the Govt Contributing to the War Effort.
- BRO is entrusted for construction of Roads, Bridges, Tunnels, Causeways, Helipads, and Airfields.
- The BRO includes 18 projects, which are divided into Task Forces, Road Construction Companies (RCCs), Bridge Construction Companies (BCCs), Drain Maintenance Companies (DMCs), and Platoons. The organization also includes base workshops, store divisions, training and recruitment centers, and other staff.