Nature Index 2020
Three of the autonomous institutions of the Department of Science & Technology, Government of India have found their place among top 30 Indian Institutions including universities, IITs, IISERs, and Research Institutions and Labs as per Nature Index 2020 ratings based on the research published in the top journals, a measure of research quality.
Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science (IACS), Kolkata is at 7th position, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), Bangalore at 14th position and S. N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata at 30th position
- Globally the top-rated Indian institutions in this list are Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), a group of 39 institutions at the 160th position and Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore at the 184th position.
- While the research carried out in the academia and research labs has shown good quantitative enhancement, the need for a greater emphasis on quality, relevance, and translational aspects is now being understood as acted upon.
TOP 10 INSTITUTIONS OF THE WORLD :
- Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), China
- Harvard University, United States of America (USA)
- Max Planck Society, Germany
- French National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS), France
- Stanford University, United States of America (USA)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), United States of America (USA)
- Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres, Germany
- University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), China
- University of Oxford, United Kingdom (UK)
- Peking University (PKU), China
The Nature Index?
- The Nature Index is a database of author affiliation information collated from research articles published in an independently selected group of 82 high-quality science journals.
- The database is compiled by Nature Research.
- The Nature Index provides a close to real-time proxy of high-quality research output and collaboration at the institutional, national and regional level.
- The Nature Index is updated monthly, and a 12-month rolling window (1 April 2019 – 31 March 2020) of data is openly available at www.natureindex.com under a Creative Commons non-commercial license.
- The Nature Index also releases annual tables of country– and institution-level calendar-year output back to 2015.