National School of Drama
Veteran actor Paresh Rawal has been appointed as Chairman of the National School of Drama Society by President of India Shri Ram Nath Kovind.
About ‘National School of Drama’
- Established in 1959, the National School of Drama is an autonomous organisation, fully financed by the Ministry of Culture, Government of India.
- One of the foremost theatre training institutions in the world, NSD had it’s inception under the aegis of the Sangeet Natak Akademi and became an independent entity in 1975.
- It offers a 3-year, full-time, residential training program in various aspects of theatre. The enviable list of alumni and faculty members have ensured that the institution remains at the helm of performing arts.
- Apart from theatre, the artistic manifestations of NSD alumni have often left an indelible mark in other media as well. There are two performing wings of NSD – the Repertory Company and Theatre-in Education Company (TiE) that started in 1964 and 1989, respectively.
- Along with NSD, New Delhi four centres have been established at Varanasi, Gangtok, Agartala and Bengaluru under consolidation of outreach programme.