National Disaster Management Authority
- The Delhi High Court on Monday asked the Centre and the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) to respond to a petition filed by a woman seeking ex gratia for her mother’s death due to COVID-19.
Ex-gratia in India
- Ex-gratia generally means voluntary contribution because the party making the payment is not obligated to compensate the individual. But in Indian context, there are legal and constitutional obligations.
- Providing ex gratia to assistance on account of loss of life is a statutory obligation under the Disaster Management Act
- It is also a constitutional obligation as it affected the right to life guaranteed under the Constitution.
National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA)
- It is the apex statutory body for disaster management in India.
- It lay down policies, plans and guidelines for Disaster Management to ensure timely and effective response to disasters.
- Constituted under Disaster Management Act, 2005
- Chairperson: Prime Minister
- More than nine members (including Vice-Chairperson)
- Tenure of all members: 5 years.