Kerala too erects check-post on border
Move follows two COVID-19 deaths in Dakshina Kannada this week
- State of Kerala has erected a border check-post at Talapady, next to Karnataka’s own check-post. Karnataka sealed all its inter-State borders, including that with Kerala, in the third week of March.
- The Dakshina Kannada district administration had also decided not to entertain medical emergencies from Kasaragod district following a huge number of COVID-19 positive cases being reported in that district.
- The State government, on March 30, invoked the provisions of The Epidemic Diseases Act, 1897, to support its move.
- The Supreme Court intervened following a batch of petitions and ensured both States agreed on the movement of medical emergencies from Kasaragod district to Mangaluru, as per some agreed terms, on April 7.
- The border appeared like an international border, with police on both sides turning away people to the other side.