Jio offers 5G tech, to develop a cheap smartphone with Google
- Reliance Industries Ltd.’s Jio Platforms unit has developed a 5G technology that will be deployed in India next year.
- To aid the mass adoption of the technology and to enable millions of 2G feature phone users to graduate to smartphones, Jio and Google would partner to develop an entry level 4G or even 5G smartphone with Android operating system, Mr. Ambani added.
- 5G solution will be ready for trials as soon as the 5G spectrum is available and can be ready for field deployment next year. And because Jio’s converged... we can easily upgrade our 4G network to 5G. This will be a Made-in-India solution.
- After Investments by a clutch of global tech giants including Facebook and Google has signed up with Jio platform the digital subsidiary of Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL), to invest Rs 33,737 crore (or approximately $4.5 billion) for a 7.7 percent stake. The strategic deal would likely lead to the unveiling of new technology products and solutions in India.
- Jio and Google have also entered into a commercial agreement to jointly develop an entry-level affordable smartphone with optimizations to the Android operating system and the Play Store, Ambani said. On Monday, Google said it has committed $10 billion investment in India in the next 5-7 years for empowering small businesses and building products suited to the country’s needs.
Source: Indian Express