#GS2 #InternationalRelations #Terrorism
The Taliban said on Monday they had destroyed an Islamic State cell in the Afghan capital, hours after a suspected IS attack on a mosque killed five persons.
- The Islamic State, also known as Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), is an Islamic militant group that advocates a fundamentalist, Salafi jihadist doctrine of Sunni Islam.
- The group aims to establish a Caliphate which is a territory governed according to Islamic law.
- al-Qaeda's operations are limited to carrying out suicide attacks in the West or West-backed countries.
- But IS intends to establish a “pure” Islamic State where the “true” believers can come and live.
- In IS controlled regions, the minority communities had to pay minority tax to the state for protection.
- Minorities are not allowed to publicly practice their religion.
- According to their belief system homosexuals were to be thrown off high-rises. Barbaric punishments like chopping the fingers of smokers exists.
- Slavery is legal, but music and films forbidden.
- The concept of “nation-states” is also alien to the IS world-view.
- Syncretic traditions of Islam such as Sufism are anti-Islam according to the IS.
Islamic State Khorasan Province
- Islamic State Khorasan Province is the regional affiliate of the Islamic State group operating in Afghanistan.
- Of all the jihadist militant groups in Afghanistan, It is the most extreme and violent one.
- IS-K was established in 2015 when IS's power in Iraq and Syria peaked before its self-declared caliphate was defeated and removed by a US-led coalition.
- IS-K takes in both Afghan and Pakistani jihadists. They get most members from the Afghan Taliban itself (those who find the Taliban organisation as not extreme enough).
- The main targets of IS-K have been Afghan security forces, Afghan politicians and ministries, the Taliban, religious minorities, including Shia Muslims and Sikhs, US and Nato forces, and international agencies, including aid organisations.
- IS-K committed some of the worst atrocities in recent years. They target girls' schools, hospitals etc. They had even attacked a maternity ward and reportedly shot dead pregnant women and nurses.