Institutes of Eminence Scheme
Union HRD Minister has recently chaired a review meeting on the progress of works sanctioned under the Institutes of Eminence Scheme (IoE).
About Institutes of Eminence Scheme –
- Institutes of Eminence are institutions which are expected to make into top 500 world rankings in a decade.
- They have complete freedom to decide the curricula, hire domestic and foreign faculty and fix a fee structure of their choice.
- It comprises 10 public and 10 private educational institutions which will be selected based on the recommendations of Empowered committee.
- The Government has recently shortlisted 6 Institutions of Eminence (IoEs) including 3 from Public Sector and 3 from Private Sector.
- Rs. 1000 cr. grant will be given only to public institutions and no funds will be given to private institutions.
- These Institutions shall also be provided with autonomy –
- to admit foreign students up to 30% of admitted students;
- to recruit foreign faculty upto 25% of faculty strength;
- to offer online courses upto 20% of its programmes;
- to enter into academic collaboration with top 500 in the world ranking Institutions without permission of UGC;
- free to fix and charge fees from foreign students without restriction;
- flexibility of course structure in terms of number of credit hours and years to take a degree;
- complete flexibility in fixing of curriculum and syllabus, among others.