- The maiden sea trials of the indigenous aircraft carrier Vikrant have progressed very well and the second phase of trials are expected to begin by October-end, with the third phase planned in December.
- Indigenous Aircraft Carrier 1 Vikrant has been designed by the Indian Navy’s Directorate of Naval Design (DND).
- It is being built at Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL), a public sector shipyard under the Ministry of Shipping.
- This is the first aircraft carrier designed and built in India.
- An aircraft carrier is a vital asset for a country as it enables the Navy to travel far and carry out air domination operations.
- In order to deal with China’s expansionist tendencies on land at the Line of Actual Control, India should convey that it not only means business on protecting its interests in the Indian Ocean, but is also willing to play further afield to recalibrate maritime equations.
- The Russian MiG-29K fighters and the Kamov 31 helicopters, as well as the soon to be acquired American MH-60R Seahawk helicopters will be onboard the Vikrant.
- Vikrant is run by four General Electric LM2500+ gas turbines on two shafts, generating over 80 megawatts (110,000 hp) of power.