Indo-Tibetan Border Police
#GS3 #Defence #BorderSecurity
Recently, the 59th Raising Day of the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) was celebrated in a function in Greater Noida.
- Raised on 24th October, 1962 during India-China War, the ITBP primarily guards the nation’s 3,488 kilometre long borders in the Himalayas at the border outposts located at altitudes ranging from 3,000 to 18,800 feet.
- Apart from guarding the border; the Force is also deployed for Anti Naxal operations and other internal security duties.
- ITBP is deployed on border guarding duties from Karakoram Pass in Ladakh to Jachep La in Arunachal Pradesh covering 3488 km of Sino-India Border.
- ITBP is a specialised mountain force and most of the officers and men are professionally trained mountaineers and skiers.
- Being the first responder for natural disasters, ITBP has been carrying out numerous rescue and relief operations across the country.
- Headquarters of ITBP is located at New Delhi.