Health Minister's Meet: Non-Aligned Movement
#GS2 Health and Governance
Recently, the Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare participated in a virtual meet during which with Ministers of Health of the NAM (Non-Aligned Movement) Countries.
India's Stand at the Meeting:
Vaccine Maitri Initiative:
Despite the domestic needs, during the Covid-19 pandemic, India fully ensured the supply of medicines to 123 partner countries including 59 NAM nations.
Efforts to 'Universal Health Coverage:
- Universal health coverage is defined as ensuring that each one people have access to needed health services (including prevention, promotion, treatment, rehabilitation, and palliation) of sufficient quality to be effective while also ensuring that the utilization of those services doesn't expose the user to financial hardship.
- Ayushman Bharat aims at providing free health assurance to over 500 million underprivileged people, making it the world’s largest health assurance scheme.
It adopts a two-pronged approach:
- Firstly, the creation of health and wellness centers to bring health care closer to homes.
- Secondly, the formulation of a Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY) to guard poor and vulnerable families against financial risk arising out of catastrophic health episodes.
- Full immunization coverage is increasing at a rapid pace with a greater emphasis on village-based micro-plans that's aimed toward enhancing coverage to 90% during a year.
About Non-Aligned Movement:
It was formed during the conflict (1945-1991) as an organization of States that didn't seek to formally align themselves with either the USA (Capitalism) or the Soviet Union (Socialism) but sought to stay independent or neutral.
- Six years after the Bandung Conference in 1955, the Movement of Non-Aligned Countries was founded on a wider geographical basis at the primary Summit Conference of Belgrade, which was held in September 1961.
- It was held under the leadership of Tito Tito of Yugoslavia, Gamal Abdel Nasser of Egypt, Nehru of India, Kwame Nkrumah of Ghana, and Sukarno of Indonesia.
- The agenda of the organization were enumerated within the Havana Declaration of 1979 to make sure "the national independence, sovereignty, territorial integrity and security of non-aligned countries" in their struggle against imperialism, colonialism, neo-colonialism, racism, and everyone sort of foreign subjugation.
Members and Observers:
- It had 120 members as of April 2018 comprising 53 countries from Africa, 39 from Asia, 26 from Latin America and therefore the Caribbean, and a couple of from Europe.
- Currently, there are 17 countries and 10 international organizations that are Observers of the Non-Aligned Movement.
- NAM doesn't have a proper constitution or permanent secretariat, and its administration is non-hierarchical and rotational.
- Decisions are made by consensus, which needs substantial agreement, but not unanimity.
In the year 2020, the meeting was organized and was initiated by President Ilham Aliyev (present chairman until 2022) of Azerbaijan, in his capacity as chair of the Non-Aligned Movement.