Global Vaccine Summit 2020
#GS2 #International #Health
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi was addressing the virtual Global Vaccine Summit hosted by UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson in which over 50 countries - business leaders, UN agencies, civil society, government ministers, Heads of State and country leaders participated.
- India has today pledged 15 Million US Dollars to Gavi, the international vaccine alliance
- GAVI was created in 2000 as a successor to the Children’s Vaccine Initiative, which had been launched
- in 1990. GAVI is a public–private global health partnership with the goal of increasing access to immunization in poor countries.
- The UK government will host Gavi’s third donor pledging conference on 3-4 June 2020 to mobilise at least US$ 7.4 billion in additional resources to protect the next generation with vaccines, reduce disease inequality and create a healthier, safer and more prosperous world.
- Gavi’s impact draws on the strengths of its core partners, the World Health Organization, UNICEF, the World Bank and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and plays a critical role in strengthening primary health care (PHC), bringing us closer to the Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) of Universal Health Coverage (UHC), ensuring that no one is left behind.