#GS3 #Technology #Agri&Allied #Fisheries
The National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources (ICAR-NBFGR) reported that Fish sperm cryobanking technology is undergoing field level validation and has shown potential to improve fish seed quality. Presently, the Fish sperm cryobanking technology is in experimental stage and establishing of fish cryobanks for fish seed production will be finalised only after the completion of experimental attempts.
- NFDB and the National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources (NBFGR) will establish fish cryobanks in different parts of the country.
- The Cryomilt technology may be helpful in the establishment of fish cryobanks, which will provide good quality of fish sperm in hatcheries at any time.
- This would be the first time in the world when Fish Cryobanks will be established, enhancing fish production and increasing prosperity among the fish farmers.
National Fisheries Development Board
- It was established in 2006 as an autonomous organization under the administrative control of the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare.
- Now, it works under the Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying.
- To enhance fish production and productivity in the country and to coordinate fishery development in an integrated and holistic manner.
National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources
- It was established in December 1983, under the aegis of Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR).
- Exploration, characterization and cataloguing of fish genetic resources.
- Maintenance and preservation of fish genetic resources for conservation and utilization of prioritized species.
- Evaluation of indigenous and exotic germplasm including risk assessment and fish health.