Farmers urged not to burn wheat straw
#GS3 #Science #Environment
Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, farmers’ bodies in Punjab have come forward to ensure wheat straw is not burned on the fields this harvesting season.
- Bharatiya Kisan Union (BKU) said the bodies decided to make an appeal to all farmers as health experts suggested that smoke contributed to respiratory diseases, aggravated by the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19.
- The farmers will have to incur some expenses, but the decision has been taken in the larger interest of society.
- State should allow paddy transplantation and not set any date for the process to be completed. Because of labour shortage, more time is required to complete sowing.
- The organisation would also urge farmers not to burn wheat straw on their fields, and to break with the practice.
- The BKU (Krantikari) wanted the State to pay farmers a bonus of ₹200 per quintal of wheat.