Clashes erupt in East Jerusalem after ceasefire comes into effect
#GS2 #ISRAEL-PALESTINE CONFLICTS
- Scattered clashes have broken out between Palestinian protesters and Israeli police at the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in Jerusalem hours after a truce in Gaza went into effect.
Triggers for the Gaza fighting
- Clashes at the holy site, which is revered by Jews and Muslims, were one among the most triggers for the Gaza fighting.
- Palestinians propounded by the thousands after a ceasefire took effect, with many viewing it as costly but clear victory for Hamas.
- Israel vowed to reply with a “new level of force” to any longer hostilities.
Victory is claimed by both sides
- Just like the three previous wars between the bitter enemies, the most recent round of fighting ended inconclusively.
- Israel claimed to possess inflicted heavy damage on Hamas with many bruising airstrikes but once more was unable to halt the rockets.
- Hamas also claimed victory, despite the horrifying toll the war took on countless Palestinian families who lost loved ones, homes and businesses.
- The ceasefire was brokered by neighbouring Egypt after the U.S. pressed Israel to wind down the offensive.
- The U.S. initially backed what it said was Israel’s right to self-defence against indiscriminate rocket fire.
- But because the fighting dragged on and therefore the price mounted, the Americans increasingly pressured Israel to prevent the offensive.
Global substitute Israel-Palestine Conflict
- Recently, India, the us and a number of other other countries have involved calm and restraint amid escalating tensions and violence between Israel and Palestinian militants.
- India’s Stand: At the UN Security Council meeting, India expressed deep concern at the clashes and violence in Jerusalem and called on each side to avoid changing the status-quo on the bottom .
- ○ India’s Permanent Representative to the UN, stressed the necessity to right away resume direct peace talks and commitment to a two-state solution.
- US Stand: The US President has also involved de-escalation of the deadly violence that has claimed dozens of lives.
- However, the US added that Israel features a right to defend itself if it's attacked by thousands of rockets.
- Response by the Arab World: Iran, Qatar and Turkey completely support the Palestinian cause and are backing Hamas.
- UAE and Saudi Arabia are almost de facto allies of Israel.
SOURCE: THE HINDU