Destination North East-2020
#GS3 #Economy #Tourism
The Union Minister for Home Affairs Shri Amit Shah, who is also the chairman of the North Eastern Council will inaugurate “Destination North East-2020” through virtual medium.
- Destination North East is a calendar event of the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region conceptualized with the objective of taking the North East Region to other parts of the country and bringing them closer together in order to strengthen national integration.
- For Destination North East 2020, the theme is “The Emerging Delightful Destinations” which speaks of the tourism destinations emerging stronger and more attractive when the Sector picks up momentum.
- The programme focuses mostly on Tourism and coincides with ‘World Tourism Day’ which falls on 27th September 2020.
What NE Region has to offer :
- Eco-tourism - North Eastern Region is ideal for both passive and adventure forms of Eco-Tourism with wildlife sanctuary/parks, good scenic beauty, waterfalls, forests etc. The region has much to offer for the active adventure segment including river rafting among others, trekking of various grades and levels, rock climbing, hang gliding etc.
- Culture - Culture is an important aspect and has the potential to attract selective culture tourists to North Eastern Region. The diverse and rich tribal heritage and culture is what differentiates North East with the rest of India. Another major differentiator is the rich and varying Arts and Crafts across the 8 North Eastern States. Here unlike most places, handicrafts are part of everyday life.
- One significant aspect is the local community’s active participation towards increasing tourist- community cultural interfaces.
- Heritage - Heritage tourism has picked up considerably in the Region with a participatory approach where tourists also get to actively participate than just seeing the monuments, old tea estates etc.
- Religious pilgrimage - The region has many famous and old religious spots, which have been integrated with national tourism circuits for the benefit of the pilgrims.
- Business - In view of attractive natural environment and growing trends of outbound business meets, the NER also offers ample opportunities for business tourism segment. Domestic and international connectivity, High-end hotels, Convention Centres, resort based convention facilities etc. have all contributed to the expansion of this Sector.