Defence India Startup-Challenge 4
#GS3 #Defence #Technology
Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh has launched the Defence India Startup Challenge (DISC 4) during the iDEX event, featuring the initiatives aimed at expanding the horizons of Innovations for Defence Excellence (iDEX) ecosystem.
- iDEX4Fauji initiative and Product Management Approach (PMA) guidelines were also launched by the Raksha Mantri during the event.
- Each of these initiatives is expected to facilitate iDEX-DIO to scale up the program qualitatively and quantitatively.
What is iDEX initiative?
- The iDEX initiative of the Department of Defence Production was launched by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi in April 2018 with the objective to encourage and nurture innovations in the Indian Defence sector and create an ecosystem where Startups, MSMEs and individual innovators could interact easily with the Indian defence establishment and provide the latest technological innovations for specific challenges experienced in operational environments through co-development and co-production of innovative solutions.
- The iDEX initiatives are executed by Defence Innovation Organisation (DIO), a Section 8 company of DPSUs BEL and HAL.
What is ‘iDEX4Fauji’?
- iDEX4Fauji is a first of its kind initiative, launched to support innovations identified by members of the Indian Armed Forces and will bolster frugal innovation ideas from soldiers/ field formations.
- There are more than 13 Lakh service personnel working in the field and on borders, handling extreme conditions and equipment and would be having many ideas and innovations to improve such equipment. There was no mechanism to support such innovations.
- iDEX4Fauji would open this window and allow our Faujis to become part of the innovation process and get recognised and rewarded.
- Services Headquarters will provide support to the soldiers & field formations all over the country to ensure maximum participation.
What is Defence India Startup-Challenge 4?
- Under Defence India Startup Challenge (DISC) 4, eleven challenges from Armed forces, OFB & DPSUs were thrown open to prospective startups, innovators, MSMEs alike to provide their innovative ideas on technologies which find their application in the defence sector. The challenges are as follows –
- Autonomous Underwater Swarm Drones
- Predictive, Preventive & Prescriptive Machine Monitoring
- Super Resolution for Improving Spatial Resolution
- AI based Satellite Image Analysis
- Prediction and forecasting of atmospheric visibility
- Computer Generated Targets for Virtual Training
- Remote Real Time In-Flight Health Monitoring of Aircrew
- MF-TDMA based Wideband SATCOM Modem
- Foliage Penetration Radar
- Reduction of RCS of Naval Warships
- Target Detection in Chaff Environment
- iDEX-DIO has launched three rounds of Defence India Startup Challenge (DISC) with 18 problem statements from Armed Forces, DPSUs&OFB and identified 55+ start-ups/ individuals to receive innovation grants in technological areas through the Prototype funding guidelines called “Support for Prototype and Research Kickstart” (SPARK), which entail provisioning of grants upto Rs 1.5 crore to the Startups on the basis of milestones through multiple tranches, for prototype development.