The Conference of the Parties
- India is yet to announce a pledge to reduce emissions to “net zero” (carbon-neutral) by 2050 to limit the global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius.
- The next COP26 summit is happening in the U.K.
- The Indian government made it clear that at present, it does not consider the “net zero” goal its only priority.
The Conference of the Parties (COP):
- Ultimate decision-making body of UNFCCC.
- Meets yearly. The COP will meet in Bonn, the seat of the secretariat unless a Party offers to host the session.
- The office of the COP President usually rotates among the five United Nations regional groups: Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, Central and Eastern Europe and Western Europe and Others.
- Usually, the environment minister of the home country becomes the President.
- The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) was signed in 1992 at the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development.
- This Conference is also called Earth Summit, the Rio Summit or the Rio Conference.