Commission for criminal law:
A five-member Committee for Reforms in Criminal Law has been set up by the Union Ministry of Home Affairs at the National Law University (Delhi).
- Law reform is ordinarily within the mandate of the Union Ministry of Law and historically, various law commissions have been set up to recommend law reforms.
- What is the Criminal Law (Amendment) bill?
- In April 2018, the Union government promulgated the Criminal Law (Amendment) Ordinance providing for the death penalty for the rape of girls below age 12.
- Recently the Ordinance has been replaced by the Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2018.
- The Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill 2018 will amend relevant Sections of the IPC, CrPC, and also POCSO Act.
- The Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill 2018 enhances the minimum sentence for the offence of rape against girl children of all three age categories ( 0-12, 12-16, 16-18).
- Under the new law, if the victim is under 12 years of age, the culprit faces a minimum sentence of 20 years, up from 10 years previously and the maximum punishment is the death penalty.
Source: Indian express