BRO opens strategic Srinagar-Leh highway after four months
Border Roads Organisation (BRO) opened strategic Srinagar-Leh highway that connects Ladakh with the rest of the world on Saturday.
- About 18 oil tankers and other essential commodities were initially allowed to move towards Leh/Ladakh from Zojilla pass. This was managed despite fresh snowfall in the Zojila pass.
- The 425 kilometre road was closed since December last year due to heavy snowfall at Zojila pass.
- Keeping that in mind the team of Project Beacon and Project Vijayak cleared fresh snow around Zojilla at the height of 11,500 feet and made the road motorable.
- Snowfall of this year had broken records of the last six decades.
- The snow clearance operations were undertaken by project Beacon of BRO from Gagangir to zero point and the same was done by project Vijayak from Drass towards zero point.
About Border Roads Organisation (BRO) :
- The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) develops and maintains road networks in India's border areas and friendly neighboring countries. Officers from the Border Roads Engineering Service (BRES) and personnel from the General Reserve Engineer Force (GREF) form the parent cadre of the Border Roads Organisation.
- The BRO operates in 18 Projects namely: Arunank, Beacon, Brahmank, Chetak, Deepak, Dantak, Himank, Hirak, Pushpak, Sampark, Setuk, Sewak, Shivalik, Swastik, Udayak, Vartak, Vijayak and sela tunnel.
Role Of BRO :
- To Develop & Maintain the Operational Road Infrastructure of General Staff (GS) in the Border Areas.
- To Contribute to the Socio-Economic Development of the Border States.
- To Develop & Maintain Roads to Keep Line of Control through in Original Sectors and Re-deployed Sectors.
- To Execute Additional Tasks as laid down by the Govt Contributing to the War Effort.
- BRO is entrusted for construction of Roads, Bridges, Tunnels, Causeways, Helipads and Airfields.
The BRO includes 18 projects, which are divided into Task Forces, Road Construction Companies (RCCs), Bridge Construction Companies (BCCs), Drain Maintenance Companies (DMCs), and Platoons. The organisation also includes base workshops, store divisions, training and recruitment centers, and other staff.