Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman
High Commissioner of India to Bangladesh Riva Ganguly Das has said that Sheikh Mujibur Rahman was the architect of the India-Bangladesh relations. Speaking about the relations between the two countries Riva Ganguly Das said that India has stood firmly with Bangladesh since 1971 and will remain so in future too.
- Riva Ganguly Das was speaking at a virtual book reading programme organised by the Indira Gandhi Cultural Centre (IGCC), High Commission of India in Dhaka on Monday to pay tribute to Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman on the occasion of his birth centenary year ‘Mujib Barsho’.
- Opening the session, Riva Ganguly Das said that Bangabandhu is revered as much by the people of India as he is by people of Bangladesh. She said that he was one of the most courageous and influential leaders of the 20th century.
- Reiterating the words of Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his homage to Sheikh Mujibur Rahman on the occasion of his birth centenary in March this year, High Commissioner Riva Ganguly Das said Bangabandhu means a Champion of justice, equality and dignity.
About Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman
- He was a Bengali leader who became the first prime minister of Bangladesh (1972–75) and later became the president of the same in 1975.
- He began his formal political career in 1949 as a co-founder of the Awami League.
- He played a crucial role in advocating political autonomy for East Pakistan, the detached eastern part of Pakistan (now Bangladesh).
- Sheikh Hasina Wazed, the current prime minister of Bangladesh, is the daughter of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.