- (ATS), regulate international relations with respect to Antarctica, Earth’s only continent without a native human population.
- For the purposes of the treaty system, Antarctica is defined as all of the land and ice shelves south of 60°S latitude.
- The treaty entered into force in 1961.
- The treaty sets aside Antarctica as a scientific preserve, establishes freedom of scientific investigation, and bans military activity on the continent.
- The treaty was the first arms control agreement established during the Cold War.
- The Antarctic Treaty Secretariat headquarters has been located in Buenos Aires, Argentin
blog comments powered by