2nd PROJECT 17A SHIP ‘HIMGIRI’
‘Himgiri’, the first of the three Project 17A ships being built at M/s Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Limited (GRSE), Kolkata was launched.
- She made her first contact with the waters of Hoogly River at 1335 Hrs at the launch ceremony.
- In keeping with Naval traditions CDS launched the ship to the chanting of invocations from the Atharva Veda.
- The ship has taken its name and crest of the second Frigate of the Leander Class of ships, which incidentally was launched 50 years ago in 1970.
- Under the Project 17A program, a total of seven ships, four at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL) and three ships at GRSE are being built with enhanced stealth features, advanced indigenous weapon and sensor fit along with several other improvements.
- Since its inception, Project 17A has upheld India’s vision for Atmanirbhar Bharat. P17A ships have been indigenously designed by Directorate of Naval Design (Surface Ship Design Group) - DND(SSG), and are being built at indigenous yards namely MDL and GRSE.
- Naval shipbuilding provides a great opportunity to energise our economy post COVID-19.
- Project 17A ships are sourcing 80% of the material/ equipment required for the project from indigenous vendors and with employment generation for over 2000 Indian firms and MSMEs within the country.
- Modular construction of the ship through outsourcing, and integrated construction methodology are being used to enhance GRSE’s productivity for delivery of ship targeted in August 2023.
- INS Himgiri (F34) was a Nilgiri-class frigate of the Indian Navy.
- Himgiri was commissioned into the Navy on 23 November 1974. She was decommissioned on 6 May 2005.
- A new ship with this name belonging to the new Nilgiri class was launched in December 2020.
- INS Himgiri holds the record for the number of days at sea in a single deployment for a conventional ship of the Indian Navy.
- In 1976, she was the first ship of the Indian Navy to shoot down a pilotless aircraft.