“2+2” Minister-level meeting & UN Security Council Resolution 2593
- Foreign Minister of Australia, the inaugural “2+2” Minister-level meeting said that the international community wants to ensure that Afghanistan can never again become a “safe haven” for terrorism.
- India and Australia displayed a common approach to the Afghan crisis. External Affairs Minister of India said that the policy is summed up by the UN Security Council Resolution 2593.
- A ‘two plus two dialogue’ stands for a dialogue mechanism adopted between two countries’ defense and external affairs ministries.
- It is an expression used to indicate that 2 appointed ministers from 2 countries will meet up to discuss the two countries’ strategic and security interests.
What is UNSC resolution 2593?
- According to the resolution, Afghanistan's territory should not be used to threaten or attack any country or to shelter or train terrorists or plan or finance terrorist acts.
- The resolution cites individuals and entities designated by UNSC Resolution 1267, like the Lashker-e-Taiba (LeT) and Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM).
- It is an initiative of countries like US, UK, and France.
- But certain permanent members like Russia and China did not vote. 13 members voted in favour.