- Government e-Marketplace (GeM) was announced as the winner in the "Best Use of Digital Technology" category at the CIPS Excellence in Procurement Awards 2021 (CIPS Awards).
- Government e-Marketplace (GeM) is a one stop portal to facilitate online procurement of common use Goods & Services required by various Government Departments / Organisations / PSUs.
- GeM aims to enhance transparency, efficiency and speed in public procurement.
- It provides the tools of e-bidding, reverse e-auction and demand aggregation to facilitate the government users achieve the best value for their money.
- All Central government and State Government Ministries/Departments including its attached/subordinate offices, Central and State autonomous bodies, Central and State Public Sector Units and local bodies etc. are authorised to make procurement through GeM portal.
Benefits of GeM
- Benefits of GeM to the Government, Sellers and the Indian industry and economy
- Transparency : GeM eliminates human interface in vendor registration, order placement and payment processing, to a great extent. Being an open platform, GeM offers no entry barriers to bonafide suppliers who wish to do business with the Government. At every step, SMS and e-Mail notifications are sent to both buyer, his/her head of organisation, paying authorities as well as sellers.
- Efficiency : Direct purchase on GeM can be done in a matter of minutes and the entire process in online, end to end integrated and with online tools for assessing price reasonability. For procurements of higher value, the bidding/RA facility on GeM is among the most transparent and efficient, in comparison to e-procurement systems in vogue within the Government sector. For creating a bid/RA, the buyer does not need to create his/her own technical specifications as they have been standardised on GeM. These would make GeM an extremely powerful tool in the hands of Government organisations to plan and procure.
- Secure and safe : GeM is a completely secure platform and all the documents on GeM are e-Signed at various stages by the buyers and sellers. The antecedents of the suppliers are verified online and automatically through MCA21, Aadhar and PAN databases. In addition, SEBI empanelled credit rating agencies are also being used for conducting third-party assessment of suppliers. This would further strengthen due diligence about the veracity of suppliers wanting to do business on GeM.For high value bids/RA on GeM, an e-Bank Guarantee is also being introduced.
- Savings to the Government : The transparency, efficiency and ease of use of the GeM portal has resulted in a substantial reduction in prices on GeM, in comparison to the tender, Rate Contract and direct purchase rates.
- The CIPS Awards are one of the leading recognitions around procurement globally.
- It is conducted by the Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply (CIPS), London.
- CIPS is a global not-for-profit organisation.
- It is dedicated to promoting good practices in procurement and supply management.
- The CIPS community is spread across 150 countries.
- Mission: To improve people's lives through better supply chains.
- GeM was set up in 2016, to revamp the century-old public procurement system and processes in India.
- Within 5 years, GeM has completely disrupted this ecosystem through its unified digital marketplace and vast and diverse ecosystem of buyer organizations and sellers.
- With the advantage of a forward-looking technology-driven approach- leveraging cutting-edge technologies like artificial intelligence including machine learning, natural language processing, blockchain etc., in this financial year, GeM clocked order values of ￡3.42 billion- an over 50% increase from last year.