Mains Paper 2,Health & Education
From UPSC perspective, the following points are important :
Prelims level : Schedule H1 drugs
Mains level : Coronovirus outbreak and its mitigation
Hydroxychloroquine is now a schedule H1 drug and can be sold on prescription only.
What are Schedule H1 drugs?
- The sale of the Hydroxychloroquine drug from now on should be in accordance with the conditions for sale of drugs specified in Schedule H1 to the Drugs and Cosmetics Rules, 1945.
- In exercise of the powers conferred by Section 26B of the Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940 (23 of 1940), the Central Government can direct that sale by retail of any drug.
Why such move?
- The Central Government is satisfied that the drug ‘Hydroxychloroquine’ is essential to meet the requirements of emergency arising due to pandemic COVID-19.
- And in the public interest, it is necessary to regulate and restrict the sale and distribution of the drug ‘Hydroxychloroquine’ and preparation based thereon for preventing their misuse.
- Hydroxychloroquine is used to prevent or treat malaria infections caused by mosquito bites.
- It does not work against certain types of malaria (chloroquine-resistant).
Pls take a note-
- Hydroxychloroquine and a related drug, chloroquine, are currently under study as possible treatments for COVID-19.
- These drugs have not yet been approved for this use.
- Do not use these medications to treat COVID-19 unless your doctor recommends that you do so.