The Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare has released land degradation in India citing the Desertification and Land Degradation Atlas of India.
Desertification and Land Degradation Atlas
- Space Applications Centre (SAC), ISRO has released out an inventory and monitoring of desertification of the entire country in 2016.
- Atlas preparation is using IRS Advanced Wide Field Sensor (AWiFS) data of 2011-13 and 2003-05 time frames in Global Information System environment.
- It provides both State-wise as well as also entire country.
- This Atlas presents land degradation status maps depicting land use, process of degradation and severity level.
Land Under Pressure:
- About 29.32% of the Total Geographical Area of the country is under land desertification/degradation.
- About 6.35% of land in Uttar Pradesh is undergoing desertification/degradation.
- Schemes like Green India Mission, fund accumulated under Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management and Planning Authority (CAMPA), Nagar Van Yojana etc. are getting implemented to check and restore forest.
- MoEFCC is promoting the "Trees Outside Forest" (TOF) to expand forest and use of waste land.
- National Afforestation Programme (NAP) for ecological restoration of degraded forest areas is being implemented by National Afforestation & Eco Development Board (NAEB) Division of the MoEFCC
Also Read :-